About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Center Peace

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Prayer and Christ-likeness


Devotional Classics, Frank Laubach, Excerpts from Letters by a Modern Mystic

"'Moment by moment, I'm kept in his love;
Moment by moment I've life from above;
Looking to Jesus till glory doth shine;
Moment by moment, O Lord, I am Thine.'

It means two burning passions: First, to be like Jesus. Second, to respond to God as a violin responds the the bow of the master. Open your soul and entertain the glory of God and after a while that glory will be reflected in the world about you and in the very clouds above your head." (p. 120)

Sometimes I spend a lot of time rambling. I guess it is comforting in a way. I find great thoughts and try to grab hold of them and put them on paper. Nothing wrong in that.

But sometimes I grow weary of words, especially my own. I long to boil it all down to simple ideas that I can hold onto when my words grow thin. I love this thought: "Be like Jesus." Really there is nothing else to being a Christian at all. Just be like Jesus.

I am a child. I dress up my words. I dress up my actions (a little). I dress up my face with the proper expressions. I try to look like Jesus. Like a child with a favorite baseball player, I get the same hat, the same shoes, the same bat, but for some reason I don't ever hit like him or catch like him or pitch like him. I'm just dressed up.

"Well, of course," people say, "he's GOD. How can you expect to be like him?" Granted. However, the Lord Jesus commanded us to be like him. "My command is this: love each other as I have loved you." (Jn.15:12) Nothing fancy, just impossible.

Yet, how good a teacher would Jesus be if all he did was spout impossibilities? How helpful would it be if you asked someone "What should I do if I fall down and break my leg?" and they answered "Just get up and start walking again?" Some see much of his teaching as only for another age or time or mode of existence. Well, then the answer to the above question would be "You'll die and then your leg will be better." Not much help.

I am talking about something more that Christian perfection. It's not just a matter of never doing anything wrong. I've already messed that up entirely. It's a matter of passion. If I throw Christ-likeness into the realm of the impossible, will it not also be in the realm of the undesirable or at least the unattainable? Really, putting off Christ-likeness is a serious misunderstanding of eternal life. If I cannot being to be like Christ now then why would I want to later unless I am not myself at all, but rather another being that desires to be perfect like Jesus?

Such growth in Christ can only come "moment by moment" as the old hymn says above. I do not experience life any other way. Being like Jesus cannot be merely wishful thinking like wanting to win the lottery or wishing I was a master on the piano. Wishing must move to real plans, real passion, and real intention to become real at all. Otherwise, it is a fantasy.

Prayer is the birthplace of these plans, passions, and intentions. We ask (beg) and long for it before it starts to become real in our lives. Laubach says, "Open your soul and entertain the glory of God and after a while. . . ." Prayer is at its best an open soul. I must remain open to catch God's glory. Although he will take every opportunity to fill me and change me, it will take time, not because of God's unwillingness, but because of my resistance and dullness.

Lord, let me open my soul to you. Let me open my life to you. I don't want to live a mere fantasy. I want to be like Jesus. I lay my life at your disposal. I know that what Jesus taught is true and is possible. I can be like him. I want to spend the rest of my life in eternity doing just that. Amen.

This is the heart of being a Christian (meaning "little Christ" or maybe Christ, Jr.). What else is there? It is not a merely theological statement, or a moral statement, or a political statement, or a social statement. It is a statement about the life he has promised us: a life like Jesus'. It is the heart that is missing in so much of my Christian experience. I am encouraged to try to be like Jesus outwardly without trying to be like Jesus inwardly. To this Jesus says, "First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside will also be clean." (Mt.23:26)

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting that you start with a baseball analogy. We are knee deep in baseball season at the High School level. Baseball is an impossible sport to master. Even the very best get a hit 1 out of 3 times at bat. I don't think there has ever in the history of the game been a pitcher that struck every batter out in a game. (There have been perfect games of getting every batter out, but that has to do with good defense as well) And even then, there has been less than 20 perfect games in the history of professional base ball (since 1904).

    But the great baseball players had to work hard to develope their skill, as does anyone you concider great at what they do. The hard work can be a burden at times, but through it there is always improvements. And in a game where prefection is unattainable, it is the challenge of getting better than you are today that keep most ball players going. My son loves the game, and though at times he gets really frustrated and makes big mistakes, he comes back the next game to try again. He is striving to make it to the next level. As we are finding out, as the level of play increases so does your level of practice and work have to increase. Is this a burden? Sometimes. But the rewards of hard work and playing at the higher level has given my son confidence in who he is. He is finding out that the game as much more to offer than just scoring run or making the catch. There is stragety, there is team play, there is dealing with bad calls, there is shaking the dust off after failing and trying again.

    As Christians I think we all start out putting on all the right gear and try to look the part, but we must train and learn how to use the gear. We find there is so much more to being like Christ than we ever imagined. The more we learn and experience, the more we relize there is so much more to learn and experience. As with many things in our lives, the excitement is not actual attainment of the goal, but it is found on the journey getting there.

    At this point I know my son would much rather be playing the game than being in the stands with a jersey and ball cap pretending to be a part of the game.

    I think of Teddy Roosevelt's quote about the Man in the Aerna as it relates to trying to be like Christ:

    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

    We can either be a critic of Christian (point out flaws and discuss how things could be better) or we can actually strive to be like Christ and get in the Arena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You really carried out the baseball illustration. I love the quote from Roosevelt. Following Jesus really is not a spectator sport.

    "Using the gear" is really what it's about. Grace and goodness are not mantle-pieces, but tools that are intended to make us like Jesus.

    Great comment!

    ReplyDelete