About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Center Peace

Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Work in the Way

The Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan
The Man put his fingers in his ears, and ran on crying, Life!  Life!  Eternal Life!  So he looked not behind him, but fled towards the middle of the Plain.  (4)
Interpreter:  Let this man's Misery be remembered by thee, and be an everlasting Caution to thee.  (33)
Then [Christian] stood still a while to look and wonder; for it was very surprising to him, that the sight of the Cross should thus ease him of his Burden.  He looked therefore, and looked again, even as the springs that were in his head sent waters down his cheeks.  (36)
Formalist and Hypocrisy:  If we get into the Way, what's the matter which way we get in?  If we are in, we are in.
Christian:  You come in by yourselves without his Direction; and you shall go out by yourselves, without his Mercy.  (38, 39)
Prudence: Can you remember by what Means you find your annoyances at times, as if they were vanquished?
Christian: Yes, when I think what I saw at the Cross, that will do it; and when I look upon my 'broidered Coat, that will do it; also when I look into the Roll that I carry in my bosom, that will do it; and when my thoughts wax warm about whither I am going, that will do it.  (51)
Faithful: This Shame tells me what men are; but it tells me nothing what God or the Word of God is.  (79)
Hopeful: Then I said, but Lord, what is Believing?  And then I saw from that saying, [He that cometh to me shall never hunger, and he that believeth on me shall never thirst] that Believing and Coming was all one; and that he that came, that is, ran out in his heart and affections after Salvation by Christ, he indeed believed in Christ. . . .  And now was my heart full of joy, mine eyes full of tears, and mine affections running over with love to the Name, People, and Ways of Jesus Christ. (164, 165)
Now while they were thus drawing towards the Gate, behold a company of the Heavenly Host came out to meet them; to whom it was said by the other two Shining Ones, These are the men that have loved our Lord, when they were in the World, and that have left all for his Holy Name, and he hath sent us to fetch them, and we have brought them thus far on their desired Journey, that they may go in and look their Redeemer in the face with Joy.  (185)
Since I have read The Pilgrim's Progress, I have run into the very characters on my own pilgrimage: Atheist, Temporary, and Ignorance.  I have seen some of the same challenges before me as Christian faced: running for life when others call me back, sinking into despondency, and being persecuted for buying into the vanity of much of this life.  Progress seems slow.  I am slow to learn.

Yet, the cross still relieves my burdens, and the Interpreter reminds me of who I can trust and the dangers before me.  In the house of Prudence, Knowledge, and Charity, I find the faith of those who have gone before me and catch glimpses of the glories to come.  Maybe someday, I will sight the Gates and walk in the Delectable Mountains where joy and peace reign.

This is the delight of Bunyan's allegory.  He has spotted a number of the people I meet, the challenges I face, and the joys I encounter on the way.  How can I bring this together?  I suppose I could say that one of Bunyan's main concerns is for people who get on the path without entering by the Wicket Gate.  Repentance is knocking on the door of God's good will and being let in.  The Gate is not just a moment that comes and goes, but a beginning, like a wedding to a marriage, of a way of life, a pilgrimage.  Those who do not enter by the Gate walk without God's leave and without his mercy.  Like Hypocrisy, they say, "If we are in, we are in," not realizing that the actions without the heart will not carry one to the end of the journey.

Bunyan reminds me that the pilgrimage of this life is full of knocking and seeking.  God's grace is fully available, but not always immediately received.  It is encountered on the way.  Pilgrim has to come a little ways on his journey before his burden falls off.  Hopeful has to pray to receive Christ repeatedly and with faith.  God is not playing with them, but revealing their desire mixed with his mercy which brings them perseverance.  "Ask, seek, knock" are not half-hearted attempted, but ways in which I can love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  There is no other way to come and I need grace the whole way.  Grace brings perseverance; it doesn't eliminate it.

Bunyan makes clear that this great salvation that I walk is always a gift.  In my natural life, I will do no good, that is, I will not make this journey.  Ignorance cannot accept this fact, but must see that his journey is mostly upon his own shoulders and due to his own innate goodness.  Sharing with Ignorance, I think I am "good enough" and so turn down God's offer for real goodness and even find his offer to be oppressive, since it condemns my goodness as not good enough and show where I fall short.  It hurts and such conviction can make me think that God's call is not really good at all.  Conviction leads to mercy and joy if I can let go of my Self-holiness and embrace God and his goodness.

Bunyan also makes clear that this great salvation is an achievement.  Just because it is a matter of mercy and grace does not mean that I have not share in the work.  God's grace upholds my achievement.  There is no boasting, only gratitude.  Boasting does not come from work and achievement, but only from entitlement.  Effort is expected, as is clear from Christian's whole pilgrimage, even if much of the effort is asking for God's grace to carry me through.

Lord, allow me to walk in the Way.  Keep me from being sidetracked.  Save me from the pitfalls before me.  Bring me into this day's joy.  Let me work be hard and true, especially the work of prayer.  I need your grace to carry me through.  Amen.


I resonate with Christian's cry, "Life!  Life!  Eternal life!" I see how much my devotion needs to be single-minded on the Lord.  It is easy to be divided.  It is at those times that the Way becomes unclear.  Devotion brings me back to the path and keeps me on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment