About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Center Peace

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Devoting Oneself to Humility: Motives

Morning

(Pray)

Praise the LORD, O my soul;
   all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the LORD, O my soul,
  and forget not all his benefits—
 who forgives all your sins
  and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
  and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
  so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (Psalm 103:1-5)


(Praise the Lord.  Thank him for one thing or remember one wonderful thing about him.  Say, "Lord, thank you for . . ."  or "Lord, you are . . . ."  Use the Psalm as your starting place.)


Midday

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  (Matthew 18:1-4)

(Take time to watch a child.  Remember your own childhood.  Think of God as your "daddy.")

Evening

There are three great motives that urge us to humility. It becomes me as a creature, as a sinner, and as a saint. The first we see in the heavenly hosts, in un-fallen man, in Jesus as Son of Man. The second appeals to us in our fallen state, and points out the only way through which we can return to our right place as creatures. In the third we have the mystery of grace, which teaches us that, as we lose ourselves in the overwhelming greatness of redeeming love, humility becomes to us the consummation of everlasting blessedness and adoration.  (Andrew Murray, Humility, Introduction)

(Which motive for humility are you most familiar with?  Which motive draws you most?  Ask God to use these motives to deepen your humility.)


†          †          †  

Praise comes from humility.  Praise, like humility, comes from the three things mentioned in Murray's introduction.  I praise because I am a creature and God is my Maker.  I praise because I am a sinner and God is my Savior.  He "redeems my life from the pit."  I praise because I am a saint.  Praise is my destiny and life, so that my "youth is renewed like the eagles."  Praise comes from humility.


When I think about God as my "daddy," I have an image of my hand in his.  He doesn't let go, nor does he get tired of holding my hand.  He doesn't get tired of me.  One of the parts of being a child is the expectation that a parent will be there to watch over me, help me, and delight in me.  To humble myself like a child is to expect God's love and care and never doubt it.  If I feel lost, I will wait for him (and maybe cry, too).  If I feel him near, I will engage in the never-ceasing questions and the requests of "Let me show you this, daddy."


I have been drawn into humility from my sinner side recently.  Struggling with anger and depression opens up all sorts of bad habits and thoughts.  Yesterday, I just became aware of how weak I am.  My daughter sprained he ankle and it now having to strengthen it.  The damage is healed, but now it is somewhat weak.  I feel I am there with a number of my struggles.  God has healed a number of hurts and broken places, but now I remain weak and easily hurt myself over and over.


Strengthening requires humility.  As a recovering sinner, I have to rely on God's grace and strength to come into me so I can recover.  I cannot recover on my own.  Yet, he gives me exercises I can do to accept that strength that he sends.  I cannot recover without exercising.  Exercising (and resting) build strength.  Troubles and challenges show me how much I have come to rely on God's strengthening grace.  I must continue to do my "therapy," however before I can meet such troubles well.  As a recovering sinner, I am always exercising and resting in God's grace.  "Continue to  out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you."  (Philippians 2:12-13)


Lord, I cannot completely forget all your benefits because I need them so much.  Your healing grace, your forgiving grace, your redeeming grace, your satisfying grace is what I long for and need.  The less I forget, the more I stand in praise, holding your hand, allowing you to lead me in eternal living at your side.  I pray for my own complete recovery.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment