About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Center Peace

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Devoting Oneself to Humility: Life's Purpose

Morning


(Pray)
But from everlasting to everlasting
  the LORD’s love is with those who fear him,
  and his righteousness with their children’s children—
with those who keep his covenant
  and remember to obey his precepts.
The LORD has established his throne in heaven,
   and his kingdom rules over all.
Praise the LORD, you his angels,
  you mighty ones who do his bidding,
  who obey his word.
Praise the LORD, all his heavenly hosts,
  you his servants who do his will.
Praise the LORD, all his works
  everywhere in his dominion.
Praise the LORD, O my soul.


(Praise the Lord.  From the Psalm say to God, "Lord, you are . . . .")


Midday


“If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’  If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.  


“I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.  


“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”  (Matthew 18:15-20)


(Think of a time in which you have protected from shame and embarrassment by a person correcting your privately.  Think about how carefully you've approached someone you deeply care about to correct them without offending or discouraging them.)


Evening


If we are indeed to be humble, not only before God but towards men, if humility is to be our joy, we must see that it is not only the mark of shame, because of sin, but, apart from all sin, a being clothed upon with the very beauty and blessedness of heaven and of Jesus. We shall see that just as Jesus found His glory in taking the form of a servant, so when He said to us, "Whosoever would be first among you, shall be your servant," He simply taught us the blessed truth that there is nothing so divine and heavenly as being the servant and helper of all. The faithful servant, who recognizes his position, finds a real pleasure in supplying the wants of the master or his guests. When we see that humility is something infinitely deeper than contrition, and accept it as our participation in the life of Jesus, we shall begin to learn that it is our true nobility, and that to prove it in being servants of all is the highest fulfillment of our destiny, as men created in the image of God.  (Andrew Murray, Humility, Introduction)


(Have you found times in which you see or experience humility as "something infinitely deeper than contrition" and as "our true nobility?"  How might your treatment of other people show such a humility that is "the very beauty and blessedness of heaven and of Jesus?")



†          †          †  


I think it may not be mere poetry  in Psalm 103 where "You mighty ones" are the ones "who do his bidding" and "who obey his word."  This contradicts how I picture mighty people.  I tend to think of people who do not have to answer to anyone.  I tend to think of people who make the rules rather than obey them.  I find myself thinking the heresy "Might makes right."


Such ideas spill over into my ideas about God as well.  When he is "high and lifted up," he is above most of my petty concerns and thoughts.  When he is a "mighty warrior," he overcomes his enemies with a mere breath.  There is truth in these statements, but only partial truth.  Jesus shows me a God who is so beyond me, he can care for each person, even each flower and bird, as if it were his very own special child or pet or plant.  Jesus shows a God who is not merely mighty, but mighty to save.  His power and might are not bent toward destruction, but toward kindness and restoration.


These mighty ones who do his bidding, these angelic hosts who are servants who do his will are made mighty by their humility.  The one they serve makes them mighty.  A person who serves only himself is not mighty, but selfish.  A person who makes his own rules is not great, but foolish.  Mighty ones are mighty because of the one they serve, who Himself is mighty through humility and its cousins: kindness, gentleness, and patience.


This humility commands that I show great kindness and patience to those who sin and who are caught in sin. It is no accident that Jesus tells me, "First take the plant out of your own eye, then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."  (Matthew 6:5)  One aspect of humility is realizing how deeply I am indebted to God for forgiveness.  Such forgiveness leaves me no room for vengeance or malice against my neighbor, whoever they are.


But more than that, I have a great responsibility to be a messenger of God's humility and kindness in all that I do.  I am to restrain (bind) evil where I see it hurting people.  Sometimes this calls for confrontation, but it is always with a goal of forgiveness and restoration.  I am to free (loose) the goodness where I see it in others. Such goodness leads to prayer and action in agreement with God and with one another.  Isn't this what God does as well?


If I am binding and loosening as God would have me to, then I am working with him.  What I bind and loose on earth will also be so in the heavens.  I will be working with him through his Spirit and in conjunction with "the mighty ones who do his bidding."  My heart will pray "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" and my hands will work out such a salvation in my life and in others with God's hands over mine.


This is the heart of "participation in the life of Jesus" through humility: God's hands working over mine.  Much like a child learning to write, a parent or teacher will place his hands over the child's to show how to hold the pencil and write the words.  Whatever work that I do is meant to be lined up with God's desires.  This is how Jesus lived.  His life was freedom, love, joy and peace.  This is the bliss of heaven, where his angels  are "servants who do his will."  This is what I am made for, my "true nobility."


Nobility is conferred with a title.  The title that grants me most dignity is not my job title or my education or my accomplishments or my honor in my family or friends.  The title that gives the most dignity and nobility to my life is "Servant of God and all people."  Humility makes this title real and not just words, so that the nobility is true and not mere pretense.  This is what life is for.


Lord, make me like Jesus, who came as the servant to all.  Let humility be a quality in my life, how I approach you and also everyone around me.  Make me mighty as you are mighty.  If I bind or loose, let it be with those mighty ones who do your will, so that whatever I do will not just be a game I play on earth, but a stronghold established in heaven.  I know I can do this only by remaining close to you, Father.  I pray this in your name, strong and mighty, meek and lowly.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment