About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Center Peace

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Prayer and Rest




Devotional Classics
, Evelyn Underhill, Excerpts from The Essentials of Mysticism

"Prayer will include many different kinds of spiritual work; and also - what is too often forgotten - the priceless gift of spiritual rest." (p.113)

Many of my lessons in spiritual rest are hard. I become worn out, burnt out and then I say and do things that I regret later. I delivered a sermon at church this last Sunday that I wasn't particularly proud of. I think I got the facts straight, but my spirit was wrong. I was restless and I felt like it showed in my message.

But even more disturbing is the Sunday night/Monday backlash from exerting so hard without adequate rest. My emotional state was dismal, my thoughts distracted, and temptations seemed nearer and more appealing. Fortunately God helped me to see this before I strayed too far.

I find that the most important part of my spiritual walk is being ready, being prepared. Without rest I cannot be prepared. I hurry. I get frantic. The less I rest in the Lord, the more I worry about my sermon, the more I obsess over what people think of me, the more all my work seemed to be a burden. Of course, there is a movement in prayer "as in the natural order [in which] the living creature must feed and grow, must suffer and enjoy, must get energy from the world and give it back again if it is to live a whole and healthy life." (p.113)

The movement is tricky for me. I find it easy to work when I should rest and rest when I should work. Usually I need to place rest first because it is, in its very nature, faith. I need to wait and trust before I go to work or my work becomes hurried, then frantic, then pointless.

So what does it mean to me to rest in prayer? I meditate long (and longingly) on the Bible and let it draw my thoughts and feelings to God. I then find my spirit quickened in love and adoration of God. Often the seeds of my work lie in the time of rest I have had with God earlier on. When I am restless, unable to rest in God, I usually find a sin lurking around, keeping me from loving God.

Sometimes I rest by walking in the woods. Sometimes by worshiping with my guitar. Sometimes by just being quiet on my knees for a short while. When I am restless, sometimes I just need to stop and breathe to get my bearings. God is faithful and near and when I call out to him, he draws me close. That's just the way he is.

Lord, what a joy it is to know that you want me to rest in you. I am so glad in that rest I can find encouragement and strength and direction. I am reminded by your word, "in repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength." (Is. 30:15) May my rest be deep so my work may be fruitful. Amen.

It's so easy to let this slide. I believe this spiritual rest is the heart of the Jewish Sabbath as well as the heart of faith. "Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall. . . ." (Heb.4:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment