About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Center Peace

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Virtue and Pain


Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life, John Calvin, from Chapters 3-5

In short, knowing that whatever may happen is ordained by the Lord, he will receive it with a peaceful and thankful heart, that he may not be guilty of proudly resisting the rule of him to whom he has once committed himself and all his belongings.

Far be it from the heart of a Christian to accept the foolish and wretched consolation of the heathen philosophers who tried to harden themselves against adversity by blaming Fortune or Fate for it. They thought that it was foolish to be displeased with our lot, because there is a blind and cruel power in the world which deals blows to everyone, worthy and unworthy.

For he does not afflict to destroy or ruin us, but rather to deliver us from the condemnation of the world.

Scripture points out this difference between believers and unbelievers; the latter, as old slaves of their incurable perversity, cannot endure the rod; but the former, like children of noble birth, profit by repentance and correction.

For despair will be the end of those who let their patience slip into indifference and who contend that a man is strong and courageous when he makes himself a senseless block. On the contrary, Scripture praises the saints for their patience when they are severely afflicted by their adversities, but not broken and overcome by them; when they are bitterly distressed, but nevertheless filled with spiritual joy; when they are weighed down by anxiety and become exhausted, and yet leap for joy because of the divine consolation.

Nevertheless, our constant efforts to lower our estimate of the present world should not lead us to hate life or to be ungrateful toward God.

When we have come to this conclusion that our life in this world is a gift of God’s mercy which we ought to remember with gratitude because we owe it to him, it will then be time for us to consider its misery.

This we may positively state, that nobody has made any progress in the school of Christ unless he cheerfully looks forward to the day of his death and the day of the final resurrection.

For not only is a passion for earthly things accompanied by almost all other vices, but he who is impatient under privation will commonly betray the opposite vice when he is in luxury. This means that he who is ashamed of a simple garment will be proud of a glamorous one.

Pain is a great teacher, at least potentially. I do not say this because I see "lessons" in all pain or that it is handed out fairly, as I see it. I am speaking merely from my own life. Pain teaches me desperation. It peals back the curtain of this world to show the darkness that taints even the brightest moments. It makes me long for something else, something better, something relieving.

Pain is a great motivator. I do not say this because it always accompanies my wrong-doing. I can see how pain alerts me to the my needs. It can bring me to my knees in surrender or despair. It makes me see that something - maybe me, maybe this life, maybe someone - is wrong and needs fixing.

Pain pushes me into decisions. It forces me to my feet to find help. Pain makes me beg for solutions, answers, or at least relief. It only listens when its cause is addressed.

There's nothing really profound about this. What is surprising is that the typical answer to pain is consistent. Along with pain-killers for bodily pain, anti-depressants for emotional pain, there is philosophy for spiritual pain. Calvin calls such explanations a "wretched consolation" that "hardens" a person so that he considers himself "strong and courageous when he makes himself a senseless block" by saying, "There is a blind and cruel power in the world which deals blows to everyone, worthy and unworthy."

I am not against lessening pain. I take ibuprofen for all sorts of aches and pains. There is much pain that cannot be helped by medicine, however. If pain can only be lessened a little, then life is despair. Lessening pain only postpones this conclusion.

I think Calvin has a good point when he writes, "When we have come to this conclusion that our life in this world is a gift of God’s mercy which we ought to remember with gratitude because we owe it to him, it will then be time for us to consider its misery." Without the lens of grace, I cannot hope to work through pain and suffering. Unless I understand that God gives grace that overcomes all pain, even up to a tortured death, I will not be able to handle misery in this world. Whatever misery pain and suffering can deal out, God can trump with the good news of Christ.

Only in faith and trust in God to this degree can make suffering a teacher and a motivator. Calvin puts it better. Suffering in light of God's powerful grace can "deliver [me] from the condemnation of the world," make me "profit by repentance and correction," help me to "leap for joy because of the divine consolation," not lead me to "hate life or to be ungrateful toward God," but "cheerfully look forward to the day of [my] death and the day of the final resurrection."

This is indeed a powerful motivator for virtue in my life, especially when I realize how much of my pain is caused by sin and carelessness. Suffering quickly dispels "passion for earthly things" which accompanies "almost all other vices" when it is laid in God's hands. I will have my day when I call out in agony "Why have you forsaken me?" For that day I pray, "Deliver me from evil" and "May I never, no, never outlive my love to Thee."

Lord, I cannot explain nor understand all pain and suffering, but I do know that whatever suffering may come my way will not overcome your grace to me. Let me come to you, even when you do not take the pain away, and put my suffering into your hands to keep and watch as you comfort me on that day. I am never alone. You are with me forever. Amen.

Rather than panic in the face of suffering, I hope to learn how to pray and wait on God. Frantic solutions and fearful dreading are my usual responses. I want to learn how to put my pain in God's hands and not be led into sins that "deaden" pain or express my anger in the midst of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment