About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Center Peace

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Root of Compassion Is Humility

Devotional Classics, Jeremy Taylor, Excerpts from The Rule and Exercises of Holy Living


Although you may - because of gifts that you have been bestowed upon you - be better than someone else (as one horse runs faster than another), know that it is for the benefit of others, not for yourself.  Remember that you are merely human and that you have nothing in yourself that merits worth except your right choices.
Humility consists in a realistic opinion of yourself, namely, that you are unworthy person.  Believe this about yourself with the same certainty you believe that you are hungry when you have gone without food. 
If you realize that you are not wise, do not be angry if someone else should agree!
Never be ashamed of your birth, of your parents, your occupation, or your present employment, or the lowly status of any of them.  When there is an occasion to speak about them to others, do not be shy, but speak readily, with an indifference to how others will regard you.
Never say anything, directly or indirectly, that will provoke praise of elicit compliments from others.
When you do receive praise for something you have done, take it indifferently and return it to God. . . .  Be careful among your own circle of friends, and do not let your good reputation be the object of your gaze.  Use it as an instrument to help your neighbor, but do not use it for your own gain.
Some will speak lowly of themselves in order to make others give an account of their goodness.  They are merely fishing for compliments.
Some people spend their time dreaming of greatness, envisioning theaters full of people applauding them, imagining themselves giving engaging speeches, fantasizing about having great wealth.  All this is nothing but the fumes of pride, exposing their heart's true wishes.
It is beneficial to focus on the strengths of those around us in order to see our weaknesses more clearly. . . .  The truly humble person will not only look admirably at the strengths of others, but will also look with great forgiveness upon the weaknesses of others.
Give God thanks for every weakness, fault, and imperfection you have.  Accept it as a favor of God, an instrument to resist pride and nurse humility.
Humility begins as a gift of God, but it is increased as a habit we develop. (pp. 244-248)
For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but those who humble themselves will be exalted.  (Luke 14:11)
I have frequently bemoaned the fact that I have little compassion.  I have wanted to have more.  I have even prayed for God to make me a more compassionate person.  As with so many other things in my life, though, I have wanted a quality or benefit without using the means to get there.

I am like some of the travelers on the road in Pilgrim's Progress who leaped over the wall rather than coming through the Wicket Gate (Salvation).  I try to walk the road of compassion without the root of compassion being in me.  Like these travelers, I have become lost quickly on the many roads that lead away from compassion.

The root of compassion is humility.  I have always said humility is good and that I would like to be more humble.  But when I read Jeremy Taylor's "rules" for humility, I realize that I have only been wishing for humility and not really seeking and practicing it.

The advantage is that the means for humility are always present.  There are always moments in which I can let go of the urge to promote myself, allow someone's insults to bring me to realize I am not as admirable as I would like, and times to let go of "dreams of greatness" and embrace each "weakness, fault, and imperfection. . . [as] an instrument to resist pride and nurse humility."  I am startled at the many times I am tempted to keep my pride instead of throwing it away.

Only with humility can compassion remain a blessing on others.  Without it, compassion quickly becomes condescension and even coercion   I do good by someone and then expect gratitude at least.  If I do not receive gratitude, I can allow myself to feel that I am better than such ungrateful people.  Many acts of compassion stink with pride.

With Taylor's "rules," I am able to begin seeing how much pride interferes with compassion and all sorts of good practice.  But even more importantly, I find that humility has a practice.  It is a gift from God that takes practice to use.  Without practice, I am left wishing for compassion or holiness or patience without ever seeing them grow and mature in my life.

The heart of developing humility is learning how to desire it.  Mostly, I am at the point where I can see the good of humility and accept the means to allow it to grow.  Desire comes from a continual vision of Jesus, who is humble and meek and lowly, and whose mission and ministry were complete pictures of humility.  From the Incarnation to the Crucifixion, Jesus demonstrated humility above everything else.  If this man becomes my master and friend, the humility must be my primary goal and, by his example and grace, my desire.

I am used to seeing humility as a "side-dish" or an "option."  It is something I have wished for vaguely, but not planned for realistically.  If Jesus wants me to be like him, then humility will be at the heart of that transformation.

Lord, I am grateful for these guiding lights toward humility.  More than anything, I want to follow Jesus and be like him.  I see that the way of to his compassion is through his humility.  Have mercy on me.  Teach me how to shed my pride, how to destroy it without mercy, so that humility might have some room to grow in me.  Amen.


I see that much of my humility has been wondering if I seem humble to other people.  I have sought a something that looks like humility, but is, in fact, pride in many ways.  I have become aware of how often I want to talk about how good I am and how greatly I am offended when someone does not think I am great.  I have become aware of how much "dreams of greatness" mingle among my thoughts and how frustrated I can get when such "dreams" do not come about.  I am seeing that humility is not so much self-deprecation, but a calm indifference from a heart focused on something else of greater importance.  May such awareness lead to better practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment