About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Center Peace

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Prayer and Space

spiritualityandpractice.com 
Devotional Classics, Henri Nouwen, Excerpts from Making All Things New

"A spiritual discipline, therefore, is the concentrated effort to create some inner and outer space in our lives, where obedience can be practiced." (p.95)

Yesterday was a day with little space. I have been going from one emergency to the next at work. At home Spring has sprung with all its extra demands for cleaning and maintainance. Starting this blog has been fun, but it also lingers in my mind. Space has seemed scarce these days.

In the midst of this I find great comfort in taking small "breathers," small moments of silence. I find that it is indeed as Nouwen points out in another book, The Way of the Heart, a solitude I can take everywhere. I do find that this inner space allows me room to practice obedienceto my Lord in many situations, instead of letting them blow by. Indeed, I find that it is possible to start doing as Paul says: "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Cor. 10:31)

Using solitude and silence to create that inner space also brings me great comfort. God is near. He is very near. His grace is shown when we turn our faces up to him, he is there. We have to "close the door" on our many inner and outer voices to hear him oftentimes, but he is there.

And he is more than just there. I don't like the song that says "God is watching from a distance." He is already talking to me. Before I come or go, he is already there. "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain." (Ps. 139:6) His presence is all the comfort I need because it also means he is at work in and around me. That is why I can stand still and find God, because of his grace and intimate love.

I also find that this inner space prevents me from making intimacy with others into a sort of god. I truly need to be closer to people around me, sharing with them and caring for them, however, I need to be careful that I do not use this intimacy to manipulate or control people, trying to get them to do what I want for my own self-satisfaction. I need room. They need room. Room to be with the Lord. Bonhoeffer explains that we need Christ to mediate in all our relationships in Life Together. The closer the relationship, the more I need God in the midst of it.

Lord, it is joy to know that "if I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there; if I rise on the wings of the dawn or settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me." (Ps. 139:7-8) I need you these days, these full days. I want to empty them even just a little to let you in. Amen.

In the last day or so, I have been practicing breathers during my devotions and conversations and work and even play. I have found God to be near, but I find that I forget him so easily. His grace is in the space. When my heart and life are full, there is no room for God. I invite you, Lord, into these little spaces today.

No comments:

Post a Comment